What is email list building
According to TeachMate, List building is the process of adding new subscribers to your mailing list. This subscriber gives you their email address in exchange for receiving certain information, a special offer, or a free gift. You can do this online via your website, or you can do it offline using manual or automated data collection tactics. Click below for a comprehensive 4 step approach to an successful email list.
One of the terms that one needs to understand is the opt-in concept. Opt-in means that the person has opted to willingly leave you their email address. This is increases the chances of your email not being ignored or considered junk mail.
Opting in is an indication of interest on the subject matter therefore would be positively received if you sent an email to that person. Some opt-in options go further to specifically ask the visitor to select whether they want to receive marketing material from you or not. Some even go further to then segment the type of marketing material that they would like to receive.
For the purposes of beginner marketers, we will deal with the first level of opt-in, whereby, the voluntary leaving of an email is good enough for the building of one first level list.
Simple techniques to enhance your list building
Offer a lead magnet
A lead magnet is something of value that is offered for free in exchange for an email address that is then added to the email list.
This can be
- an e-book of a relevant and useful subject matter.
- a free video with useful content
- access to a service for free, like a webinar of relevant topics
- useful software plugins or widgets
- free access to a useful service like increasing traffic or comments on your site
Offer options to increase your traffic.
Traffic is key to online business. This is the volume of customers that will come across your site with the possibility of taking up your services or buying your products. Any online businessman would love have more traffic.
So you can craft questions or offers that will increase the interest of the visitor concerning traffic with phrases like
- do you want more traffic?
- if you subscribe I will give you ways in which I managed to increase my traffic tenfold;
- Here is how I increased my conversions by a factor of 3 in 7 days. If you are interested …
- Here is a free checklist to use when you are planning to you rank well on Google.
Confirmation of email is key
Once they have decided to leave their email, you need to do something to make sure you have a genuine contact as wells a confirm that the new subscriber is really interested in what you have to offer.
- Require your new email opt ins to confirm their email
- show them the steps to do this to avoid email getting lost in just folders
- repeat the benefits of signing up
- always have a firm call to action and reasons why
Idiot proof your options
One of the main objectives of this exercise is to make sure that the visitors who land on your page should sign up to your mailing list. Therefore you need to persuade them as much as possible, tactfully to sign up. Marketing psychology suggests the following techniques and options
- a mockery option will tend to persuade people to act on the wiser looking option that selecting a mockery alternative.
- state the obvious and simple things like – are you tired of being a loser? It only takes a click to win! Stop giving away your time to lost causes, take your power back in only one click! Sign Up now.
- And then give a mockery option – No thank you, I would rather be last again!
- Strong call to action on the wiser options. Sign Up Now! Start Winning Now! Be the pioneer now
Have more than one choice of action
Market research also shows that people who have one positive action and one negative action have a lower chance of choosing the positive on first encounter. However, if you put two comparable positive options and one negative option, the rate of choosing the positive increases.
- give an option to do one thing or the other. For example, get a free e-book or get a free video will have more people choosing one or the other than when you have only the video or not, or the e-book or not.
Testimonials or social proof
People will only buy from those they trust. And for people to trust you, they want to know if there is someone else who already trusts you. Therefore you should always have testimonials from people about your work or your offering.
For beginners this can be a very big dilemma because you need to have subscribers already in order to have testimonials, and you need to have testimonials in order to attract subscribers.
You don’t have to have many subscribers already to attract more people. Engage yourself on social media about your list and solicit testimonials. The moment you get one good testimonial you are on the roll.
Most people want to see at least one person saying something good about something before they can consider it. Once they have considered it, they become a likely candidate for the next testimonial. So baby steps will get you there eventually.
Learn from your competition.
Your competition is one of the best sources for good strategies. They are getting market share because of something that they are doing right. You do not have to copy what they are doing, you just have to learn what they are doing, how they are doing it and how successful it is. I have done a post on the process of getting started on list building for beginners in this post.
Others who are successful may be using something that would be a great asset to use for your own business. Of course there are considerations of costs and complexities.
However, lately almost everything comes as a plugin, has a free trial or a lower level spec to start with. If not, there are many tools that can help determine what the competitors are using, and many platforms and developers will to do a great job for a reasonable fee to get you this functionality if you know where to look.
Some tools include
In the next post, I will be covering the email list management tools that one can use.
In the meantime, kindly leave a comment below about what you think or any clarification you require on email list building.